Mercury (Hg) and Disinfectants
Regular exposure to mercury vapour from dental amalgam removal and placement and possible toxic effects from prolonged exposure to chemicals like Phenols and Aldehydes (formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde) from disinfectant use are serious consideration for any dental surgery.
Airborne Microorganism contaminants
Bacteria and viruses are easily spread through a dental practice, from standard procedures such as drilling and scaling. As ultra fine aerosols are generated from normal dental procedures, the resulting moisture droplets containing blood, saliva and filling particles that can be captured by the IQAir unit, stay airborne for many hours, presenting a high risk of infectious disease transmission.
To arm the dental industry IQAir developed two options to combat the airborne issues they constantly face:
1. IQAir Dental Pro – The Dental Pro unit is the more general use solution for dentists wishing to control both general clinic environments with some mercury vapour capture. To achieve this, the Dental Pro incorporates -
The DentalPro is a broad spectrum dental air purifier system to capture the widest range of VOCs (volatile organic compounds), mercury vapour, gases and chemical odours found in a dental environment. The IQAir Dental Pro aids dental clinics in combating these airborne viruses (including viral hepatitis), bacteria and odours that are quickly and easily spread through the offices from normal procedures such as drilling and oral examinations.
2. IQAir Dental HG – Is specifically designed to deal with mercury vapour generated from drilling and placement of dental amalgams.
This unit has four cartridges of Hg media specifically to control mercury vapour only.
IQAir Dental Series Accessories
THE FLEXVAC ACCESSORY: To capture mercury vapours at the operating site the air purifier unit can be coupled with a flexible hosed vaccum system. The suction hose is placed on the patients chest for maximum effect, with a suction force of 20km/h ensuring total capture without leakage. The FlexiVac turns the Dental Pro into a direct extraction unit.
• Helps to protect dentists, dental staff and patients from airborne infections
• Filters toxic mercury vapour
• Removes unpleasant odours
• Helps to implement infection control measures by controlling airborne bacteria, viruses and drill aerosols
• Reduces exposure to disinfectant compounds
• Controls airborne allergens